Obedience vs. Submission--Is There a Difference?


 “Submission deals with your attitude.  Obedience deals with your actions.”—John Bevere
A friend, Michele, shared this quote on Facebook, and it arrested me. Another friend commented that she’d never considered the difference before.  Isn’t being obedient also being submitted?

*crickets*

Well, isn’t it?

Let’s look at that.

o·be·di·ence
noun
   compliance with an order, request, or law or submission to another's authority

submission

noun

    the action of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person

According to these definition, there’s not really much difference.  Of course, this is how the world sees it.  But is submission simply another word for obedience? Let’s see if we can rightly divide the Word, and get some guidance.
James 4: 1-3 NKJV
Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.
I think that we can probably all agree that these attitudes would be the polar opposite of submission, and the definition of selfishness.
James 4: 4-5 NKJV
 4Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?
So…to NOT be submitted is to make yourself a friend of the world, and therefore, an enemy of God?  Not my words, y’all.  The Word says so.  And the sole source of our resistance to submission is our PRIDE.
James 4:6 NKJV
But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble
.”

Well!  If there is something I desperately need, it’s the grace of God.  So maybe, I should lay down my personal ‘pride’ about…whatever.
James 4:7 NKJV
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
Yes!  I like it when that dirtbag is on the run!  I WANT him to run far, far away from me.  All I have to do is obey, right?
James 4:8 NKJV
 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 
Hmmm…that sounds like an attitude adjustment.  That sounds like I don’t get to keep my offended spirit.  I don’t get to nurse the emotional wounds inflicted by others.  Like my pity-party will have to be canceled, and in its place, I need schedule some soul-searching and some heart-cleansing.  Like self-righteous indignation needs to be replaced by a spirit of reconciliation and restoration.
That is way more than just a sheer, begrudging obedience, friends.
If any of you are parents, or teachers, or work with children in any way, you will no doubt be able to relate to what I’m saying.  You know how, when a child has been corrected, the first response of the child usually looks a LOT like an offended spirit?  They stomp.  They pout.  They stick out the lower lip.  They might, if they have a chance, slam a door.  Oh, sure, they stopped doing what they were doing.  Technically, they OBEYED.
Isn’t that good enough?
*returnofthecrickets*
Well…isn’t it?
That doesn’t seem to be the spirit of James 4. 
That’s because if you simply obey, but you haven’t done anything to correct your attitude, you’ll harbor an offended spirit.  It’s like you’ve offered refuge, or clemency, to a deceiving spirit.  Because offense is the opposite of love.  Remember 1 Corinthians 13?
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NKJV
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Could you possibly put offense in this scripture, in place of love?  Let’s try:  “Offense suffers long and is kind; offense does not envy; offense does not parade itself, is not puffed up; offense does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; offense bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”

Are you laughing maniacally yet?  Isn’t it preposterous?

Obedience without love is just a resentful following of directions.  Obedience mixed with love is submission.

“But won’t I just be letting someone stick it to me if I submit?  Won’t I just make myself a doormat?  A patsy?  A loser wearing a big sign that says ‘Kick Me’?”

What does the Word say?  Remember James 4?  The very next verse says it all:

James 4: 10
10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

When you humble yourself, God knows.  When you humble yourself, He sees.  Yesterday, I posted about the great man of God who just gained his heavenly reward, Bishop T. F. Tenney.  He was known for his one-liners, and this one has profoundly impacted my spirit:  “It’s YOUR job to humble yourself.  It’s God’s job to promote you.  If you insist on doing HIS job, He’ll do yours.”

That tells me that I will never lose by submission, because when I keep a humble, right attitude, God’s hands are untied to take care of me, and He will do it RIGHT.  I don’t have to worry about how.  That is His job.  Mine is to keep my spirit pure.  This is not a new idea, either:
Proverbs 4:6 NKJV
Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.

The issues of life.  If I diligently work to keep my heart pure, and free from the trash that the enemy brings along to cause an infection in my spirit, then the issues of life should remain in their proper place.  I won’t be derailed, or sidelined by offense.  I won’t allow petty issues—or even big, traumatic issues—to send my life off-course.  I’ll stay close to Him, drawing near to Him every day.  I’ll cleanse my hands and purify my heart, and pray for Him to eliminate every symptom of double-mindedness from my spirit.  I’ll seek reconciliation wherever possible, and pray for those who spitefully used me.  Lest you think I’m preaching to everyone else, and not myself, I’m still a work in progress, y’all.  God is definitely got His work cut out for Him, but I desire His help.  I don’t want anything to impede my relationship with Him.  Psalm 24 sums it up beautifully:

Psalm 24:3-5 NKJV
Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord?
Or who may stand in His holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol,
Nor sworn deceitfully.
He shall receive blessing from the Lord,
And righteousness from the God of his salvation
.

I’m not worthy of it, Lord—but I am grateful for your blessing.  I pray that submission to all worthy, holy  things will be a hallmark of the rest of my life. Amen!


Comments

Popular Posts