See No Evil



Remember the three monkeys?  One with his mouth covered by his little hands, one with his ears covered, and one with his mouth covered?  “See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.”  Usually, we reference this saying to make light of the desire to be willfully ignorant of something we’d just rather not know.  I’m totally dating myself here, but those of you who might remember the old sitcom, “Hogan’s Heroes”, might recall Colonel Klink, and the bumbling Sergeant Shultz, the most inept, most easily manipulated Nazi EVER.  As dark as that entire period of history was, there was some kind of catharsis for people in being able to laugh about it.  It portrayed the POWs as being far smarter than their captors, and while anyone with that superior of an intellect surely would’ve use their abilities to escape, the prisoners chose the greater good, and became spies for the Allied forces.  One of Shultz’s most famous lines from the show was, “I know nothingk! NOTHINGK!”  (If that looks or sounds ridiculous, remember you have to say it in a German-esque accent.  Yes, include the final ‘k’ sound.  Go ahead…I’ll wait.)  He used this phrase frequently, especially when he knew he was party to some shenanigans pulled off by the POWs in Stalag 13, and that if any of his leaders found out, it’d be curtains for him.  Firing squad or gas chamber?  It’s a toss-up.

Especially today, we live in a voyeuristic society.  Honestly, such a practice has ALWAYS been around, but usually, you had to go looking for it.  For some, the thought of getting caught going somewhere inappropriate was enough to keep people from going, period.  Then came print media, which opened up new, private opportunities for seeing things you shouldn’t; then the internet.  Lord, the internet!  Perfect example of how a powerful tool that can be used for such good can be twisted into a doorway for evil.  Ask any vice cop whose ever confiscated computers during an investigation.  Ick.

Now, though, it’s being piped into homes!  What used to be fare you’d only see on pay channels is coming through network TV on prime time.  Actually, ANYTIME.  I still remember when networks would cease programming at a certain time of day.  I know, I’m dating myself again.  When was the last time that happened?  The 80’s?

I had a conversation recently with someone about a hit show that I’ve never, ever seen even one episode of:  Game of Thrones.  They were surprised, because they know I’m kind of a nerd for history, especially historical fiction and period drama.  Of course, one reason I’ve never seen it is because a few years ago, my family gave ourselves a raise and booted cable TV to the curb.  (Shows like GoT are part of the reason—but my disgust with the continual bombardment of advertising is another reason.  But that’s another story for another day.)

The other reason that I won’t watch it, though, is because I do enough research to know the premise of the show.  It’s set in a fictional kingdom, but seems to draw heavily from storylines you might find in the Roman empire—that’s just my thought.  It’s fairly complex in its story arcs, but if I can simplify it for you, the basic premise is this:  Get WHAT you want WHENEVER you want, at ANY cost.  No rules.  Take whatever you can, and don’t let anyone, or anything get in your way.

I think that sums it up.

Now, the genre of GoT is billed as “Fantasy”.  One definition I found says, “the power or process of creating especially unrealistic or improbable mental images in response to psychological need.”

And with that in mind, this is what I also found on Wikipedia about GoT: It has been acclaimed by critics, particularly for its acting, complex characters, story, scope, and production values, although its frequent use of nudity and violence (including sexual violence) has been criticized.”

I thought, “Oh!  Good!  At least someone is criticizing it.” *inserteyerollhere*  Especially when the very next sentence reads: “The series has received 38 Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Drama Series in 2015 and 2016, more than any other primetime scripted television series. Its other awards and nominations include three Hugo Awards for Best Dramatic Presentation  (2012–2014), a 2011 Peabody Award,  and five nominations for the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series-Drama  (2012 and 2015–2018).”

Really?  Where is the #metoo movement?  We award, over and over again, a series that celebrates “nudity and violence (including sexual violence)”—and then, we want to cry about Harvey Weinstein?  Don’t get me wrong—he’s an evil, wicked creep of the highest order, and there is NO support for him here.  But seriously people, you Hollywood twits.  You can’t have it both ways.

Now I understand that much of our society has a dubious, situationally-convenient moral compass, but the thing that really gets me is when someone who professes Christianity is an avid fan of such a show.  I’m sorry, I cannot wrap my brain around that.  Why?  Because I’m a prude?

Maybe, though I’ll leave you to your own opinion of me on that score.

It’s more, in my eyes, because I’m a student of the Word of God, and more than anything, I desire to live my life accordingly.  I’m not a Bible-thumper, as much as I am a Bible BELIEVER.  And by the way, I truly believe that the Bible is not a “Golden Corral” style smorgasbord, where you can take what you like, and leave the things that might cramp your style.  But again, that’s another topic for another day.

Boy, I wonder if ANYONE will ever read this.  In case you’re saying, “Ow!” just realize that many times, I’m stepping on my own toes, too.

Well, let’s see what the Word says, and apply them to watching Game of Thrones, or any other show that’s currently out there right now.  Here goes:
Psalm 101:2-3 KJV
I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me?
I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Hmmm…it even is supposed to be IN YOUR HOUSE where you “behave yourself wisely.”  And if these crazy shows don’t qualify as setting something wicked before your eyes, I don’t know WHAT qualifies.  Let’s read it in the New Living Translation, just for fun.  I’ll even throw in verse 4.

Psalm 101-2-4  NLT
I will be careful to live a blameless life—
    when will you come to help me?
I will lead a life of integrity
    in my own home.
I will refuse to look at
    anything vile and vulgar.
I hate all who deal crookedly;
    I will have nothing to do with them.
I will reject perverse ideas
    and stay away from every evil.

It’s interesting to note the Psalmist recognizes that while he will take care to live that ‘blameless life’, he needs help, and asks for God to help him!  What a thought!  Thank God for His help!

Here’s another:
Psalm 141: 3-4 KJV
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practise wicked works with men that work iniquity:
and let me not eat of their dainties.
Okay, so the language might be a tad bit antiquated, so let’s also read this one in the New Living Translation.

Psalm 141:3-4 NLT
Take control of what I say, O Lord,
    and guard my lips.
Don’t let me drift toward evil
    or take part in acts of wickedness.
Don’t let me share in the delicacies
    of those who do wrong.

Although I’m not usually a big fan of The Message version, here is the way they break it down, especially ‘delicacies’, and I find it even more interesting:
Psalm 141:3-4 MSG
Post a guard at my mouth, God,
    set a watch at the door of my lips.
Don’t let me so much as dream of evil
    or thoughtlessly fall into bad company.
And these people who only do wrong—
    don’t let them lure me with their sweet talk!

We’re not just talking about what they serve for snacks here, people.

Now, I could go on and on with countless other scriptures that speak of such things.  If you actually are a faithful viewer of GoT, or any other like-minded show with similar plot-lines, I’m completely amazed (and totally impressed) that you’ve made it this far.  You’re probably filled with reasons like my friend had, of why I should watch it, and why they watch it:  “The acting is amazing!  It’s so well done!  The costuming is on-point, and the locations and cinematography are breathtaking!  It’s ART!”  I know, I know.  But I have a checklist for you to take a look at, and I want you to be honest with yourself about what your favorite show contains.  Okay?  You don’t EVER have to tell me, you don’t EVER have to admit to another living human being your answers.  This is totally between you, your device screen, your four walls, and your Maker. 

Does GoT (or insert program/movie/series of your choice) have:
·      Unrighteousness (defined by Dictionary.com as not righteous; not upright or virtuous; wicked; sinful; evil
·      Fornication (sexual relations between unmarried people)
·      Wickedness
·      Covetousness (people desiring, to an unhealthy degree, things that belong to other people)
·      Maliciousness (intentionally harmful or spiteful)
·      Envy (jealousy)
·      Murder
·      Debate (in Strong’s Concordance, this is described as contention or quarrelling; strife)
·      Deceit (concealment or distortion of the truth for the purpose of misleading; duplicity; fraud; cheating)
·      Malignity (malevolence; intense ill will; spite.)
·      Whisperers (AKA—gossips)
·      Backbiters
·      Haters of God
·      Despiteful (contemptuous-- showing or expressing disdain; scornful; disrespectful; insolent-- boldly rude or disrespectful)
·      Proud/Pride (having, proceeding from, or showing a high opinion of one's own dignity, importance, or superiority)
·      Boasters (synonyms: blowhard, blusterer, braggadocio, egotist)
·      Inventors of evil things (Okay—this is where I file every whackadoo that’s ever made a horror movie)
·      Disobedient to parents
·      Without understanding (foolishness)
·      Covenant breakers (Breaking a solemn agreement…to act together in harmony with the precepts of the gospel)
·      Without natural affection
·      Implacable (Not to be appeased or pacified)
·      Unmerciful (Self-explanatory, but also described as merciless; relentless; severe; cruel; pitiless)

Anyone still there?

By the way, this isn’t my list.  Check out Romans 1:28-32 (KJV):
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

And the next verse sums up perfectly why I just can’t watch things like GoT:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death,
not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

In a nutshell, that’s it.  I don’t care if it is real or not.  It sprang from the imagination of someone who thought, “Let’s create something so vile, so sexual, so violent, so blood thirsty, that like a huge multi-car pileup on the interstate, people won’t be able to look away!  They’ll HAVE to watch, again and again, and we will own their hearts and minds.  They’ll admit it’s violent and even protest the overt sexuality—but they’ll keep coming back for more, and they’ll defend their addiction to it.”  

They have PLEASURE in those who do them.  What?  There’s no pleasure in them, you say?

That’s why you binge watch the seasons?  Why you block off time, and schedule a marathon?  That’s why you own the box set, or at least have the series saved to your Amazon Prime watchlist?  That’s why you know every episode, and all the backstory for each character?

Oh, okay.

Now, if you don’t profess any kind of religion, I get it.  Do what you like, I suppose, although I don’t know why anyone would really want all those horrible things taking up any headspace.  I love you, and I pray for you, but for now I’ll just leave you with two more scriptures, and a link to one more article, and then you do whatever you want with my humble opinion.

If you do consider yourself to be a Christian, I love you also, and I urge you to consider the following admonitions from the Word.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praisethink on these things.

1 Peter 1:13-16 KJV
13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
The last time I checked, loins was a word that refers to reproduction.  So that leads me to believe that your thought-life is important, and whatever you allow to spend time there, in your imagination, has the potential to reproduce in the natural.  Not that we always act upon every thought that runs through our brains—merciful heavens, of course not.  But the crazy things that people do to others begin somewhere.  Just a thought.  And so you know “conversation” comes from the Greek word anastrophe, which means manner of life, behavior, conduct, deportment.  It’s not only about what you say.  It’s about how you live.

Lest you think I’m feeling gleeful about pointing all of this out, I find this a difficult article to write and post.  On the one hand, I know it won’t be popular, and some will view it as narrow-minded and small.  But on the other, people that I love are having their world-view shaped, at least subconsciously, by this cynical, brutal display of things that are not conducive with the beautiful life that God has for all who would hunger and thirst after righteousness.  I live IN this world, but I don’t have to be OF this world.  And lest you think I’m the only freakishly conservative person out there who feels this way, I’d like you to take a gander at an excellent article I found, that includes 12 questions to ask yourself.  It’s specifically about GoT, but it applies to anything of a similar theme and genre—really, anything we might dubiously label as “entertainment.”

I know it’s not completely realistic to believe that I’ll ever be able to accomplish the idea of “See no evil” or “hear no evil,” but I am going to purpose to make one of my life’s missions not to seek either thing out.  And I pray that “speak no evil” will be a by-product of these commitments.  God, help me—it’s only possible with Your help.

Love y’all.



Comments

Popular Posts