I Post, Therefore I Am: Wisdom in the Social Media Age

Social Media: the revolution that changed the world, both for good, and with myriad unintended consequences.

It's kind of like the device we all hold in our hands, that has made us "available" at any time, day or night, 24/7/365.  We can hardly remember a time before the convenience became reality, though it really wasn't that long ago.  I think back to our big world-wide panic about Y2K, and realize that less than 2 decades ago, most of us didn't have a mobile phone at all, and that cordless house phones were the huge, cutting-edge convenience.  We only just had email as a common-place thing, usually on a desktop computer.  Laptops weren't even widespread yet.

Fast forward to 2018.  We aren't even able to conceive of life before our constant use of technology. Those of the Millennial generation are true 'digital natives'; their lives have always been completely intertwined with tech.

How in the world did I function before texting?  Before there was a good camera on my phone?  Before I could carry it around with me and make sure I didn't miss a message?  Before I could pull up any random fact (which feeds the side of me that my husband likes to refer to as 'the fount of useless knowledge') as fast as my thumbs can type and my connection is good? Before Amazon Prime?

How indeed?

Of course, there are countless conveniences.  I now have stream-of-consciousness buying power right in my hands!  I can purchase anything from toilet paper to home mortgages right from the comfort of my sofa, or my desk, or the beach lounge chair.  The world is my oyster!

But there's also the dark side:  the anonymity that breeds recklessness with the feelings of others.  It's like digital road rage.

In his message #selfie: Part 4, Pastor Raymond Woodward notes that via social media, it's easier to:

  • ignore feelings
  • complain and criticize
  • bash and belittle
  • rage and enrage
  • shame and slander
  • gossip and put-down
  • air dirty laundry (and dontcha know, this is rampant)
  • take cheap shots
Bro. Woodward says, "When you're hiding behind your screen, social media makes 'anonymous anger' far too easy.  We ignite fires of hurt, scandals, and conflict that spread out-of-control."

Charles Spurgeon said, "The easiest work in the world is to find fault."

This won't be my longest post, by a longshot, but in my graphic, I share the short list of 8 things every spirit-filled believer should consider before they wreck their testimony with a rash, spur-of-the-moment post, aimed a socking it to someone who has offended them.  Be wise, and remember the admonition of Proverbs 16:32:

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.

Of course, today that should probably read:
He who is slow to post is better than the mighty,
And he who rules his thumbs better than he who takes a city.

Just a thought.

Comments

Popular Posts